Monday, March 21, 2011

JOB? MONEY!! :)

In today's economy, finding a job is hard work. Many companies are suffering major wages and are not hiring new workers. As a biological sciences major at the University of Southern Mississippi, I have done research searching for new, potential job opportunities and internship opportunities. After doing extensive research and searching online databases, I have found four potential jobs/internships that I feel I qualify for and that I would potentially be interested in. These four potential jobs/internships include shadowing a pharmacist at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, pharmacy technician here in Hattiesburg, biology tutor, and The Home Depot. The first three listings are all related in my field of biology/pre-pharmacy. The last one is not really related, but I'm still interested.  The shadowing program at UMMC involves shadowing a pharmacist/physician for 10 weeks. It includes assisting the professional in daily routine activities. The volunteer gets firsthand experience with the doctors. Interested candidates should visit http://mca.umc.edu/HealthCareers/HealthCareersDevelopmentProgram.html. The pharmacy technician postion is available at the Wesley Hospital here in Hattiesburg. Information can be found at http://www.job.com/my.job/jobdisplay/page=jobview/pt=2/key=78292924/. Another potential job is a biology tutor for students. This job includes assisting students in all aspects of biology. The potential candidate must possess an advanced amount of knowledge in biology. More information about this job can be found at http://chs.taleo.net/careersection/10001/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=715126&sre=JB-12080. Last, I feel that a job working at The Home Depot will be a pretty good experience. This information can be found at http://www.career-hound.com/jobs/register.jsp?kw0=mmwwlihjhrrim&job=home+depot&cib=484&SID=5460553.
I have many skills, accomplishments, and experiences that I feel can contribute to me getting one of these postions. I have good communication skills, problem-solving skills, communication skills, and logic/reasoning skills. In addition, I am a Jubilee scholar. I have been on the Dean's List (3.5 GPA or better). In addition, I am a L.N. Payton HeadStart volunteer and an Oseola McCarty volunteer. I can demonstrate that I possess these skills by incorporating them into my resume and cover letter. I feel that this can most definitely give me an upper-hand with the competition. I think my communication skills will definitely play a major part with the Home Depot job. Effective communication will be key when persuading customers to buy the products.
The job that I find the most interesting and that I would like to pursue is the pharmacy technician position. I chose this one because I feel that it will prepare me the best for my ultimate goal of becoming a pharmacist. Even since I was a child, I have always dreamed of becoming a pharmacist. They make a lot of money and get to help their community at the same time.  Also, I feel that it would be a fun environment to work in. Fellow employees and I would have to work as a team, and I love being a team player. In addition, knowledge in biology/chemistry plays a major part in pharmacy. This would be a good point to add to my resume. I also have a pharmacy technician license. This would most definitely showcase that I'm qualified for the job and that I have a real interest in performing it. If I fully equip myself while creating my resume and cover letter, I am confident that I will get this job.

No comments:

Post a Comment