Monday, September 12, 2011

Makeup...Heels...Grace (:

As women, we are expected to conduct ourselves in the utmost feminine manner at all times.  However, what society and most men do not realize is that being a lady is very hard! You are always expected to look and act a sudden way, and in the instance when one breaks that stereotype, she gets talked about in a negative way.
I can recall a certain scenario when I was ten years old. I was going through a phase as much of us women do at a young age. Yeah, that stage….the tomboy stage. I would wear baggy pants, Jordans, and a hat turned to the back. In addition, I would often wear my hair in a ponytail which my mother absolutely hated. I wore no make-up and often considered myself as “one of the guys”.  For Christmas, I always wanted dirt bikes and 4-wheelers instead of the typical Barbie dolls and Easy-Bake ovens. 
This began to raise concern with my parents and they demanded that I make a change. The change was that I would act more like a “girl”…as if there was a certain way that girls HAVE to act. I was obedient and went through a total transformation.  Once junior high school rolled around, I was ready! I had a new wardrobe filled with an array of cute dresses, heels, and girl y tops. I must admit, however, that this change gave me a new attitude. I was more confident and believed that I was beautiful.  In addition, I became a cheerleader.  I carry those same “gender” transformations today and conduct myself as a feminine woman would.  A lady is always seen but never heard.  She’s conservative, stylish, graceful, curvy, supportive of her man, and strong.  She never considers herself as one of the guys and spends countless hours primping to ensure that she doesn’t look like one either. I am a lady. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment