Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Feminism? To Care or Not to Care

Before entering my Women’s Studies class, I had a very keen definition of what I thought feminism was. In my definition, a feminist is someone who does anything to support, improve, and justify women's rights. They want women to have the same rights as men. The typical stereotype of a feminist is someone who hates men, lesbian, socially awkward, evil, and anti-religious.However, after just two weeks of being a student in Mrs. Peerboom's class, I have a whole new definition of what feminism is. According to Sarah D. Bunting, "If you believe in, support, look fondly on, hope for, and/or work towards equality of the sexes, you are feminist.
After completing a worksheet that assessed if you considered yourself a feminist or not, I discovered that according to Bunting's definition, I am a feminist. I absolutely have to agree. I support the rights of women and wish that they had every equal opportunity as possible. However, that is not the problem. The problem is that I'm one of those supporters that is too lazy to care. I feel that although I am a women, these problems do not affect me enough directly in order for me to react to them. 
I also hold the beliefs that some positions should not be available to women. These places include running a country (president) and being in the pulpit of a church. My belief on this subject simply goes back to my upbringing and tradition. Its just not tradition to see a women trying to run a country. I'm not saying that she doesn't have the ability to do it. It just does not look right.
Although many people may view my opinion as irrelevant and/or stupid. It is just that, my opinion. I am entitled to it, and I will always consider myself as a carefree feminist.

No comments:

Post a Comment